[Xmca-l] Re: Nissen on working with youth

Larry Purss lpscholar2@gmail.com
Tue Feb 10 21:20:29 PST 2015

Thanks Mike for this lead. I will google her work.

I also have downloaded the other Morten Nissen article written for the
Journal of Dialogic Pedagogy. That paper referenced a work by Fernanda
Coelho Liberali [Creative Chain in the Process of Becoming a Totality]
In the article is an extended discussion of "meaning" and "sense" comparing
and contrasting Vygotsky's and Bahktin's approaches to these ideas.
It is interesting that Vygotsky references "smysl" as "sense" while Bahktin
references "smysl" as "themes".

I will offer a glimpse into the way Liberali is approaching "meaning" .

He points out that within a Bahktinian perspective znachenie [meaning] is
the *arena* for the evolution of the opposition between the I/you.

A. A. Leontiev [2002a] affirms that mastery of meaning is the most
important way in which individual behaviour can be mediated through social
experience ... realized through various significations ....
Therefore znachenie introduces an idea of the power of existence *yet to
come. The power of becoming *or "zone" of potential development. In *this
sense *[of meaning] the "zone" leads to the possibility of creativity...
Fundamentally, it indicates meaning *as the potential for human beings
within the "zone"*.  The "place" where human beings get together to create
new meanings through the sense they share together in the chain of
activities they take part in throughout their lives.

I once again return to Zinchenko's "hypothesis" that it is in the act of
imagining "inner form" that inner form comes into being. It is for this
"reason" that I use this "method" of presenting versions of znachenie and
smysl and in this process of presenting versions am participating in a zone
of shared creation through imagining inner form [and outer form].
As Zinchenko mentioned he is haunted by the image of  oscillating sense and
meaning.

If others would like a copy of Liberali's article I could send.  It is only
one version of one perspective of meaning and sense but is engaging with
the power of becoming within zones.