[Xmca-l] Re: sense, meaning and inner aspect of word

Larry Purss lpscholar2@gmail.com
Wed Feb 4 20:06:03 PST 2015

Martin and others curious to explore "inner form",

I wanted to return to the notion of "inner" form as the inner aspect of the
unity of "word meaning"
I do not have the background but do have the curiosity to invite further
reflections

An edited book [cultivating minds: identity as meaning making practice] has
a chapter on Georg Simmel but mentions Vygotsky and Shpet's influence.
on page 44 there is this paragraph:

     Overall, with his brilliant idea of synthesizing objectification and
appropriation, Lazarus, for the first time, outlined a cultural historical
theory which was then elaborated sixty years later by Lev Vygotsky and his
socio-historical school.  in fact, the possible influence of the
Humboldtian  scholar Gustav Shpet (1879-1937), on Vygotsky's thinking also
remains largely unanalyzed (See Zinchenko 2000).  As a student, Vygotsky
followed a course given by Shpet and we may assume that he kept following
Sept's theorizing with some interest. (Van der Veer 1996). what is
interesting with regard to Shpet is his discussion of Lazarus
and Steinthal's Volkerpsychologie in his 1927 "Introduction to Ethnic
Psychology".  In a similar vein, Simmel designated culture as that which
the mind has deposited in language, institutions, art and, last but not
least, technology.  Frisky (1992) argues therefore, that Simmer is one of
the first cultural psychologists to examine the inner (psychic) consequence
for individual experiences of the domination of the cultural things in
everyday experience as the culture of human beings."

I share this paragraph in the hope of exploring further the notion of
"inner form" as it played out in these various scholars. Zinchenko's
hypothesis that in reflecting on "inner form" is the way of
creating/realizing "inner form". I do not have the background to do more
than gesture towards this "theme" but am attempting to keep the topic alive.

larry

On Tue, Jan 27, 2015 at 2:04 PM, Martin John Packer <mpacker@uniandes.edu.co