[Xmca-l] Re: Imagination or Fantasy

Ed Wall ewall@umich.edu
Sat Dec 5 16:46:12 PST 2015

Larry

     I wan’t looking at the title, but, yes, ‘or’ can be inclusive or exclusive.

     I don’t think of it as a detour; that doesn’t seem to make sense if I understand Vygotsky correctly.

     I, personally, don’t equate ‘physical' and ‘concrete’;’ perhaps I wasn’t clear. In any case, I’ve never completely understood the tendency to think of the physical (i.e. a thing in itself) as somehow extra-concrete. The best I can do is imagine that in a certain cultural historical context and at a certain stage of development people act as if certain things are ‘concrete.’ This includes the 'physical world' (whatever that is?).

      I’m not quite sure where you are going with the development of systems and concrete-like or even cultural historical.

       Fantasy is a complicated word so I don’t know what you mean when you allude to “assume that or let’ involving fantasy. My answer, perhaps, would be neither is necessarily imaginal or fantasy

       Since I have no clear idea what you mean by system or fantasy in your email, I can’t give a reasonable answer to your final question. An approximate answer might be “no”; however, I can imagine other possibilities (smile).

Ed