[Xmca-l] Hiroshima, Nagasaki, Alamagordo, Bikini. A reflective experience

mike cole mcole@ucsd.edu
Mon Aug 10 17:31:44 PDT 2015

While away this past week, I visited the Art Gallery of Toronto. Earlier in
the day I had read through reflections about Hiroshima that followed my
note on the subject of Aug 6/7. Recall that I had written

"It seems worthwhile pausing for a minute to think about those bygone days

when we humans were not as skilled at mass extinction as we are now.

​I was thinking about the two poems that David/Haydi posted while walking
over to the museum. I had no idea of "an experience" I was to have that day.

Attached are two paintings that were parts of exhibits at the museum. One
room had some extremely valuable, classical paintings, among which was
Ruben's "Massacre of the Innocents." The other was an exhibition of photos
about the dawn of the age of atomic warfare, which contained many of the
kinds of

photographs members of xmca have had a chance to see thanks to the
discussion. Those I was prepared for, but the photo attached along with the
Reubens painting I was not prepared for. I attach them side by side.  The
second one was a photo op created to assure worried US citizens that
radiation was not a problem and/or as a demonstration of power, according
to the explanatory text that accompanied it.

The juxtaposition got me reflecting all over again. Maybe you will find it
interesting.
​mike
​
​

​
​

--

It is the dilemma of psychology to deal as a natural science with an
object that creates history. Ernst Boesch