[Xmca-l] Re: Help with Russian translation

David Kellogg dkellogg60@gmail.com
Thu Aug 6 16:04:37 PDT 2015

Andy:

I think this somewhat over-literal translation might help:

"The real (or the actual, factual--DK) basis of the human personality
consists of the totality of its social-in-nature relations to the world;
however, these are relations which are realized, and realized in their
activeness, or more precisely, in the totality of their multi-formed
activities.

We have in view the subjective activeness which is the source of the
"units" for the psychological analysis of the personality: not actions, not
operations, and not psycho-physiological functions or building-blocks of
these functions; the latter characterize activity and not directly
personality."

I'm cheating a little here, both by being over-literal and also by
distinguishing between subjective activeness and the activities which
realize it. But I think that is Vygotsky's intention. First of all, to
identify the basis of human personality in relations with the world taken
as a whole, and then to distinguish between the personality and the
specific actions that apparently make it up but which cannot exhaust its
potential.

David Kellogg