[Xmca-l] Re: Can symbols help people learning to read?

Avram Rips arips@optonline.net
Fri Apr 3 13:55:35 PDT 2015

Possibly th JP Das Centre, a Lydia based program.  http://rrl.educ.ualberta.ca/publications

On March 11, 2015, at 1:59 AM, Andy Blunden <ablunden@mira.net> wrote:

I am forwarding this message from a good friend who has a question about
literacy education.
If you know of research on this question, perhaps you could cc Mike B.
in your reply.
***
My sister is in the education field and she is looking for theory and
research to refute an influential paper which claims introducing symbols
to non-readers actually hampers their ability to develop literacy
skills. The little I have read on AT and semiotics seems to at least
indicate that under certain conditions, symbols can aid literacy. But I
am looking for something specific and/or definite.
***
Andy