[Xmca-l] Re: Erratic Marxists

Avram Rips arips@optonline.net
Fri Apr 3 13:54:01 PDT 2015

.Varolufakis is also ready not to learn the lessons of Capital etc. and make an accommodation with German demands for market austerity.

Abram Rips

On February 21, 2015, at 6:44 PM, David Kellogg <dkellogg60@gmail.com> wrote:

I often imagine people like Varolufakis skipping through the parts of
Capital not devoted to economic models, the way that the rest of us skip
through the economic modelling. On the evidence of his criticisms
("ommission" and "commission") of Marx, Varolufakis he has not seriously
read Marx's non-economic work or studied his career as a political
revolutionary. Only in that way could Varolufakis come up with his
erratisms, which really only reflect his own erratic reading practices.

How else could Varolufakis conclude that Marx did not take much interest in
the effect that his ideas had on the leaders of the workers' movement? Marx
saw bureaucratic practices in the working class movement and decried the
International being taken over by bureaucrats, college professors and
liberal do-gooders long before anyone else. The reason why nobody reads the
section of the Manifesto where he and Engels did this is simply that they
did it so effectively that hardly any of the people mentioned in it were
ever mentioned again. Or consider his struggle over the "Gotha Programmae"
or his fight with Lasalle, or (to take up Annalisa's notion of left wing
libertarians) with the Bakuninists. The criticism that he did not
personally take up the fight against Stalin himself is patently silly: when
Marx died, Stalin was exactly four years old, and the Soviet Union was more
than three decades in the future.

Varolufakis' s account of Marx's "error of commission" is even more silly:
it is simply a refusal to rise to the level of theory. Varolufakis deduces
from the incompleteness of a mathematical model (something which is really
inherent in the whole idea of a mathematical model) the futility of
mathematical models of labor in general and of Capital in particular.
Varolufakis really has to have a look at Andy's article on "Reading
Capital".

http://home.mira.net/~andy/works/reading-capital.htm

Marx isn't in the business of explaining to capitalists how their own
system works. He is in the business of explaining to workers why it is not
true that strikes are just short term solutions bound to pull down the
workers' standard of living in the long run and why it is also not true
that strikes are permanent solutions that can lead to the elevation of
workers into the middle class. He has precisely the economic model required
to do this.

It's worth noting, perhaps, that Marx was not a working-class intellectual
himself. Even though he shared the conditions of life of some of the most
wretched members of the working class (and the infant mortality rate in his
family shows this), he also insisted on having servants and had his
daughters taught French and piano rather than a trade. But Marx's work was
one of the things that made working class intellectuals possible in the
social sciences in the first place (previously there were working class
intellectuals, but they were people like Michael Faraday, who got into the
hard sciences through reflecting on physical phenomena encountered in
manual labor). I think that is why people like Varolufakis are grateful to
him. But the rest of us have non-erratic reasons for gratitude.

David Kellogg
Hankuk University of Foreign Studies