[Xmca-l] Re: mediate perception and direct perception

Glassman, Michael glassman.13@osu.edu
Wed Sep 17 16:37:58 PDT 2014

Greg and all,

So where does education fall in all this?  Is the educators job to make the strange familiar or is it to make the familiar strange, or is it to maintain the status quo?  Maybe we cannot completely understand the system we are in, but is it important that we understand it just enough to begin to see the smoke and mirrors, the illusions that have been sold to us?  Of course there are different types of education - but in the end is education supposed to protect the system or challenge it?  As a teacher is your responsibility to be Andrew Lloyd Webber and get everybody singing the same tune and walking out of the classroom feeling mildly happy but that somehow something is missing (it must be the pastrami sandwich you had for lunch) or is the teacher supposed to be Bertolt Brecht, breaking down the wall that separate character from audience and demanding "What do you think?" So that some are stunned, others walk from the theater stiff kneed, and still others move to close the production down?

Is is interesting about Foucault - in my department there is a joke about Foucault being the evil Dewey (the Dewey class and the Foucault class are often taught the same semester with the same students and there is back and forth discussion about it).  Dewey and Foucault make many of the same points about our social existence, but whereas Dewey is the eternal optimist Foucault seems to think we're kind of screwed (all you Foucauldians can commence pouncing on me.

Michael
From: xmca-l-bounces@mailman.ucsd.edu [xmca-l-bounces@mailman.ucsd.edu] on behalf of mike cole [mcole@ucsd.edu]
Sent: Wednesday, September 17, 2014 7:07 PM
To: eXtended Mind, Culture, Activity
Subject: [Xmca-l] Re: mediate perception and direct perception

Sounds like Novalis was cribbing from the writings of the Wizard of the 5th
Dimension, Greg. And of course, the stramge-->familiar to familiar-strange
dynamic is the ritual rite of passage in anthropology, or it was until both
the familiar and the unfamiliar became so strange.
mike

Overall-- Isn't it just common sense that one cannot get a full
understanding of a system one is a consituent part of? Passim the
discussion of Shotter and others - reality overflows our attempts to
understand it.

Strange isn't it?
mike

--

Development and Evolution are both ... "processes of construction and re-
construction in which heterogeneous resources are contingently but more or