[Xmca-l] Re: Foucault

White, Phillip Phillip.White@ucdenver.edu
Tue Sep 16 18:25:26 PDT 2014

Martin, yes, Foucault did study with Merleau-Ponty  -  and for a while Foucault used a marxist-existentialist framework that Sartre and Merleau-Ponty developed - and in a few years Foucault distanced himself from such a framework, with a great deal of mockery, when he came to realize that Sartre and Merleau-Ponty played no part in the resistance against the nazis.  however, more to the point, i am uncomfortable with statements that suggest a one-to-one correspondence, or cause and effect, attributed to an instructor's teachings and a student's beliefs.  if that were the case there would have been far more nuns and priests in this world.

perhaps i'm over-reacting.

phillip
From: xmca-l-bounces@mailman.ucsd.edu [xmca-l-bounces@mailman.ucsd.edu] On Behalf Of Martin John Packer [mpacker@uniandes.edu.co]
Sent: Tuesday, September 16, 2014 5:45 PM
To: eXtended Mind, Culture, Activity
Subject: [Xmca-l] Re: Foucault

Foucault did, however, study with Merleau-Ponty between 1946 and 1952 (obtaining his license in philosophy in 1948, in psychology in 1950, and a diploma in psychopathology in 1952). It was during this time that he first read Heidegger and Nietzsche. He studied with Hyppolite between 1954 and 1963. He inherited Hyppolite's chair at Collège de France in 1970.

Martin