[Xmca-l] Re: CHAT Discourse

Andy Blunden ablunden@mira.net
Mon Sep 15 17:38:59 PDT 2014

Jenna, my observation has to be read within the rubric of CHAT.
Your response participates what I called the "contested self-definition"
of the object of science, taking place within science.
But was I referring to is that project, in which people write books
critiquing each other, work in buildings with names of the sciences on
them and attend conferences purporting to be scientific conferences,
subjects are taught at school and programs run on TV all describing each
other as "science" and thereby constituting "science" a a project. That
is, I am talking about something objective, something which one can
study and learn about and even write books like "The Structure of
Scientific Revolutions" about, and observe over time the changing
self-definitions of the object of science within.
OK? Activities define *their own* objects. Contesting that definition is
certainly part of being a scientist, but science, as an activity or
institution, is not dependant on what you and I, writing here on xmca in
2014, says it is. The concept of science is immanent in the activity of
science, is constituted by it and constitutes it.
Andy
*Andy Blunden*
http://home.pacific.net.au/~andy/