[Xmca-l] Re: CHAT Discourse

mike cole mcole@ucsd.edu
Mon Sep 15 09:15:24 PDT 2014

Your followup comment is closely related to the second part of your
initiating message, David. So i will respond in line.

Firstly, I think it would be helpful to distinguish between MCA and xmca.
The idea behind xmca was to provide a discussion forum for articles that
appear in MCA so that instead of authors having to wait 2+ years for
feedback on their ideas (which rarely comes, even then!), we could discuss
the published work and learn from it in a timely manner. By an large, that
effort has, in my opinion, failed. Thanks to the recent decision to have
the editors pick out articles for discussion which include the author(s) in
the discussion, this situation has been somewhat mitigated. But only
somewhat. xma discussions have all the characteristics of Vygotskian
chaining, as a rule.

Secondly, when I take down a bundle of recent MCA issues and look at the
titles, they at least sound like they are about empirical matters ranging
across a wide variety of content areas. Are you saying that these articles
are not really empirical? Or that they are not really helping us to develop
better methods to deal with perceived problems of social value? Again, this
raises the question of "MCA or xmca".

Lastly, perhaps it would be helpful if those of us who believe that
empirical work guided by CHAT ideas of some value has been produced in,
say, the past two decades, would post brief summiaries of that work with