[Xmca-l] Re: CHAT Discourse

mike cole mcole@ucsd.edu
Mon Sep 15 09:16:58 PDT 2014

Who is the "who" in your comment, Jenna?
Whose kitchen are you in?
?
:-))
mike

On Mon, Sep 15, 2014 at 9:03 AM, Jenna McWilliams <jennamcjenna@gmail.com>
wrote:

> This is a great cocktail party! Who's hosting it, anyway, and do they mind
> that we trashed the kitchen?
>
> I wanted to weigh in on a side point that Andy made. He wrote:
> By "scientific project" I mean it is part of a larger project called
> "Science."
> It is not up to you or me to define "science", this is a project which has
> been going on for about 400 years in its modern form and more than 2000
> years since it first got started. It has its own system of concepts,
> including its various, contested self-definitions. These are objective,
> inasmuch as your question has to be answered by studying the concepts by
> means of which science organises itself.
>
> I believe it is very much up to you and me to define "science"--to use
> CHAT, concepts of mediation, critical theories, empirically derived
> theories or any other tool at our disposal to challenge science's "own
> system of concepts, including its various, contested self-definitions." In
> fact, many scholars (lots of whom, for reasons that may be important or
> not, are not active members of this listserv) have been contesting the
> larger project called "Science" quite pointedly and effectively for quite a
> long time.
>

> --
> Jenna McWilliams
> Learning Sciences Program, University of Colorado
> j.mcwilliams@colorado.edu
>

> David H Kirshner wrote:
>
>> By "scientific project" I mean it is part of a larger project called
>> "Science."
>> It is not up to you or me to define "science", this is a project which
>> has been going on for about 400 years in its modern form and more than 2000
>> years since it first got started. It has its own system of concepts,
>> including its various, contested self-definitions. These are objective,
>> inasmuch as your question has to be answered by studying the concepts by
>> means of which science organises itself.

--

Development and Evolution are both ... "processes of construction and re-
construction in which heterogeneous resources are contingently but more or