[Xmca-l] Re: CHAT Discourse

Jenna McWilliams jennamcjenna@gmail.com
Mon Sep 15 09:03:24 PDT 2014

This is a great cocktail party! Who's hosting it, anyway, and do they
mind that we trashed the kitchen?

I wanted to weigh in on a side point that Andy made. He wrote:
By "scientific project" I mean it is part of a larger project called
"Science."
It is not up to you or me to define "science", this is a project which
has been going on for about 400 years in its modern form and more than
2000 years since it first got started. It has its own system of
concepts, including its various, contested self-definitions. These are
objective, inasmuch as your question has to be answered by studying the
concepts by means of which science organises itself.

I believe it is very much up to you and me to define "science"--to use
CHAT, concepts of mediation, critical theories, empirically derived
theories or any other tool at our disposal to challenge science's "own
system of concepts, including its various, contested self-definitions."
In fact, many scholars (lots of whom, for reasons that may be important
or not, are not active members of this listserv) have been contesting
the larger project called "Science" quite pointedly and effectively for
quite a long time.

--
Jenna McWilliams
Learning Sciences Program, University of Colorado