[Xmca-l] Re: Halliday and Vygotsky

Henry G. Shonerd III hshonerd@gmail.com
Sat Sep 6 12:11:23 PDT 2014

Hi David,
Thank you for your thoughtful and generous reply to my email. In the spirit of this wonderful dialog, and to scaffold my thinking as I take another turn, I'll go paragraph by paragraph:

Thanks for that, Henry. I hope Langacker wasn't as peeved as he
sounded: I don't think I ever suggested that corpora were a
prerequisite for serious scholarship. The problem is that unserious
scholars like myself have to work with real people and real data or we
can't hold down our jobs, and in fact when I read Langacker it does
seem to me to make a difference.

David: I have promised to blind copy Langacker any of my emails to you Vygotskians where his work was the focus, so that he could address any misconstuals of that work on my part. He has a wonderful, dry sense of humor, so I assume he's chuckling now, in no small part due to your willingness to engage in this dialog. You can imagine the hits he has taken for his seminal work. I think he really wants this dialog, or he wouldn't be doing the work he is bringing together CG and all of the discourse scholars, especially Halliday. No need to pull punches in honest and committed effort to do this work. If I understand you, and I hope I do, you find that Langacker actually has something to offer us teacher scholars. When he says, "Stay tuned", I think he means that he has much more to offer than what he has already done.

The obvious example is elision. Langacker uses examples like:

"Ann came with and Bob without a date."

My examples look more like this:

T: Today is Tory's birthday. Let's buy a present for Tory. For
example, I like a big white dog. What do I like?

S: White dog.
T: Big or small?
S: Big white dog.

You can see that this kind of elision is much better understood as
Halliday understands it--that is, as a cohesive device which works
interpersonally. "Big" is understood by omitting it, but that omission
is ambiguous to the teacher (for good reasons--it's very unlikely that
the child omits the indefinite article because it is understood, for
example). So she insists on re-inserting it.

David:
This is actual corpus, right? Not something you invented. I suspect this would work as a good example for the application of CG to not only real world language but to language development, both first and second.
Let me quote from one of the articles by Langacker that I sent out to XMCA (which I attach again):

First, not every statement is informative. A great deal of language use pertains to matters that both interlocutors already know. Situations of this sort lend themselves to co- construction, as in (3), which is made-up but hopefully not too implausible. So it is not just the speaker who entertains the target conception. The hearer does so also—independently, through anticipation of what the speaker is going to say, through simulation during the speech event, or through apprehension, at its conclusion.

A: Remember when we tried to wash the cat? B: Yeah, it cried and squirmed …

A: ... and tried to scratch us.

B: Then it got its revenge …

A and B: ... by spraying all over the sofa.

Your example is between a native-English-speaking teacher and a Korean student, while Langacker's example (which I assume is real corpus), but in both cases the interaction is not "informative", since the teacher already knows the answer to his question and just wants to scaffold the appropriate use of English by the student. I don't know the age of the student, nor the possibilities for transfer from Korean to English, but that would go into the analysis too. Overwhelming, but exciting.

On Vygotsky's Spinozism, which is somewhat controversial on this list.
I'm busy editing our first volume of Vygotsky's lectures on pedology,
and I have to write summarizing notes. Usually I just cheat and split
each section into four sections, because Koreans often form study
groups of around four people, and this makes it a little easier to
"read and report". Most of Vygotsky's writings have the structure of a
river anyway: you break into it and try to dam it at your peril, and
any attempt to impose some kind of PPT order on the raging torrent of
ideas is obviously arbitrary and will not last. But these lecturese
are a little different: Vygotsky is being pedagogical, and he orders
his material pretty rigorously.

David:
I am interested in XMCA perspectives on Spinoza, but you have made my day with "Vygotsky the river". Somewhere (I read it in Vera's Notebooks), he has been called the "Mozart of Psychology". Got to love these metaphors.  I have always been embarrassed by my difficulty in reading Vygotsky. Vera told me a few years back to read Vygotsky on scientific thinking. Damn! I couldn't get it straight. So, I have been corresponding with Andy Blunden for over a year asking him to straighten me out. That has helped a lot, though I have a long way to go. But the point is, I needed a scaffolder like Andy to help me out. I couldn't do it directly with Vygotsky. (ZPD at work). I look forward to any volumes that will help me out, especially your editing of Vygotsky on pedology.

One of the things Vygotsky likes to do is to present "four basic laws"
with "corollaries". I assumed that this was part of his training as a
lawyer at Petrograd University (and of course he does like to use
words that have legal connotations--so for example, the word he uses
for "action" is not "activity" but something like "act" in the sense
of a legal deed). But the corollaries seem to me to be straight from
Spinoza's "Ethics", a book which really haunts every paragraph of the
"Teaching on Emotions".

David:
Cool detective work, what historians do. It must affect your teaching in small and large ways. In a previous paragraph, you characterize yourself as an "unserious scholar". You're trying to pull yourself down to my level, but it just won't do. I get THAT role and you have to live with the responsibilities of being a real scholar. I'm older and get to decide. Otherwise, this dialog will get uncomfortable for me.

Henry