[Xmca-l] Re: In defense of Vygotsky ["Sense and meaning" really means consciousness, which really means intellectualism]

Annalisa Aguilar annalisa@unm.edu
Tue Oct 28 10:21:09 PDT 2014

Hello Lubomir!

Thank you so much for your explanation. I would guess none of this would be possible to know just reading the texts themselves. It is why I value the xmca list discourse and perhaps is the value and purpose of the list to all of us. I am grateful for the variety of voices and I hope others will come forward knowing they are welcome. At least by me, anyway!  :)

It is true that a lot of arguing over matters can be avoided by understanding the technical terms at the outset, and so clearing this up is important. Understanding how the word "consciousness" is used and where the usage derives also appears to be a common misunderstanding by outsiders coming into the topic. As you say, there are many ways the word is used. I agree.

It seems a little silly to expect people outside of a tradition or culture to understand a cultural reality not their own including its contexts. As is the case, there is a lot of progress to be made when there are allowances made for common misunderstandings. What I am trying to understand in the theoretical split between ANL and LSV is: Where are these mistakes commonly made by those of us looking back at the history and the theoretical content? By understanding these "common" mistakes, allowances can be made to pass over those areas more carefully. This is my objective and intention. How do we create an environment of better understanding?

And then, we hope, from creating a positive perezhivanie we are all transformed! :)

I am at a disadvantage that I am not well-read in Marx. But I hope that that deficiency doesn't bar me from the conversation. Russian psychology and its proponents will be floating in the broth of Marxist thought, and I recognize one cannot grasp the essential theoretical points to LSV's work without wading into the soup.

With this in mind, an important first barrier to overcome and yet not get too bogged down when learning the work of Vygotsky is the meaning of Marxist thought as a cultural reality. It is important and should not be dismissed. However, I have witnessed several times it is common occurrence that by going over the matter of "What is Marxism" the conversation just stalls and no progress is made.

If the objective is better understanding, this seems a pothole that needs mending.

What should be the focus then is not "What is Marxism," but "What were the aspects of the contemporary cultural reality (in which Vygotsky lived) which influenced his theories and influenced their distribution after his death?" It seems that even among the historical players the question "What is Marxism" was prohibitive to idea exchange, so it seems worthwhile in this case not to let history repeat itself. :)

It seems unrealistic to expect people, who will have much to offer, to come to the discussion steeped in Marxist theory, and so my search right now is how we might overcome this very real barrier so newcomers have the ability access the content of LSV's work. It seems more realistic to say that we must know "enough" Marxist thought to place cultural contexts where they stand to open the door to the work. The question is what is "enough" ?

After having said all that (and thank you for reading all that), I'll reply more to the content of your post and the specific matter of "consciousness" as a technical term.

I'm curious why "consciousness" is used instead of "mind." Is there an answer to this other than philosophical? Or is it the case that the matter is accepted as settled because of historical materialism's prerogatives? In other words, is the use of the word just accepted as such because it has become a convention? Do people today question the use of the word as it has been used?

The political fallout between ANL and Rubenstein is also helpful to know. I did not know about it and that is not anything that could be found from reading the texts themselves. If this is common knowledge, I appreciate your patience with me and my ignorance about it.

Thank you for your contribution to my better understanding!

Kind regards,

Annalisa