[Xmca-l] Re: In defense of Vygotsky [[The fallacy of word-meaning]

Julian Williams julian.williams@manchester.ac.uk
Wed Oct 22 23:33:07 PDT 2014

Andy

Yes, just so,  this is why I go to social theory eg Marx and Bourdieu to find political-economic contradictions within and between activities.

But before we go there have we finally dispensed with the notion in Vygotsky's Perezhivanie paper that the situation or environment is given and the same for all, and the final form of development is given in a final, given 'ideal' form right from the beginning ( being then associated with an already given social plane).

I'm happy enough to accept that this is a false  and undialectical reading of Vygotsky (after all who knows how the concept of perezhivanie might have matured in his hands)...

To return to my case - arithmetic. Many will say this exists in ideal form in the culture and all that needs to be done by development is to bring the child into the culture... Then the child is 'schooled'... Passive, lacking in agency, often failed, and at best made obedient to the cultural legacy. AsBourdieu says, through processes in school the class system is reproduced, and this is enculturation into the cultural arbitrary.

Julian