[Xmca-l] Re: In defense of Vygotsky ["Sense and meaning" really means consciousness, which really means intellectualism]

Andy Blunden ablunden@mira.net
Wed Oct 22 23:02:24 PDT 2014

I would have said that this criticism is a deliberate misrepresentation,
except that Lydia Bozhovich makes the same charge of "intellectualism."
The charge hinges on phrases like "the significance  for the child" and
"the meaning for the child," etc., which etymologically suggest the use
of signs and words. Thinking with signs and words is intellect. But the
thing is that it is almost impossible for us to describe the
relationship of a person to their environment psychologically without
using words which evoke sign-relations. The relation is a psychological
one, not a conditioned-reflex, and the words we have for relations which
are mediated through consciousness tend to be words like "meaning" and
"significance" which have intellectual connotations. The preintellectual
stages of psychological development which Vygotsky himself theorised are
not built into the common language.

Andy
*Andy Blunden*
http://home.pacific.net.au/~andy/