[Xmca-l] In defense of Vygotsky [Environment as Productive Force]

Annalisa Aguilar annalisa@unm.edu
Wed Oct 22 21:42:12 PDT 2014

Hi Andy!

Thanks for your comments upon my exercise.

I have need for further discussion, but I will break the original email (with your replies) down into smaller chunks in hope that others will make some contributions?  (Anyone out there? C'mon in, the water's fine!)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Meanwhile... back at the ranch... the numbers in this (and continuing) posts will refer to the "charges" is I numbered them in my previous email, if only for continuity from before, which I use for convenience only.

1. [Environment as productive force] (see original post below)
Perhaps I am over-extending the argument here, however I would like to ask whether the strategy of "extension of analogy" serves a purpose. I mean, sure, the easy answer is that it was politically expedient.

Certainly "extension by analogy" is what we do all the time, but this is as an initial cognitive step of comparing and contrasting. It is useful, but it can also be dangerous if it is only to incite the "reasoning" of superstition over science. I will concede that there may have been reason to incite the superstitious in ANL's case, but I am not satisfied.

A small illustration: The meat of the walnut looks like the brain, and it was thought centuries ago that because of its simulation to the brain in form this meant it was good for the brain! And yet we know today that the nutrients in walnuts are in fact helpful to the brain because of their support of the cardiovascular system and aid to promote sleep (anti-clotting/anti-inflammatory minerals and melotonin, respectively). So yes, the walnut is indeed beneficial to the brain. After all is said and done, we can exclaim, "Well, that's just nuts!" and reply, "Yes, it is nuts!" and _mean_ different things. (i.e. "that's the nature of walnuts," or "that's crazy.")

So I suppose I wonder what is ANL's true purpose of "extension by analogy," in this case? I accept that it is not scientific, and we can say it's obviously political.

But my question is deeper, could there be any other reason behind it?

It may be I am poking the worms under the rock too much...

--- clip from previous post below