[Xmca-l] Re: LSV versus ANL

Annalisa Aguilar annalisa@unm.edu
Tue Oct 21 15:59:33 PDT 2014

This is a great article, Henry!

Thank you for posting it. I think I may have read it sometime ago, but I'm not certain from scanning quickly.

What is most relevant for me is this quote by Luria on the first page:

"My entire generation was infused with the energy of revolutionary change—the liberating energy people feel when they are part of a society that is able to make tremendous progress in a very short time."

This spirit and energy of revolution seems to be forgotten in the posts I've read as of late. I hope I am not antagonizing anyone by saying that, but I only mean that the affect and care that was a part of the man himself was very important and shouldn't be divorced, in my estimation, from his intellect. Vygotsky was a remarkably caring individual and looked for the value within every person, no matter what that person's ability, as I understand.

It is my view that one with a cold intellect is not as valuable to us as an individual who possesses equal parts of compassion and intellect and Vygotsky had plenty of both. In fact, I'd say the most intelligent people I have come to know have the largest hearts and the most sensitivity for the feelings of others. That is my informal and unsolicited hypothesis, or course :)

Best,

Annalisa
From: xmca-l-bounces@mailman.ucsd.edu <xmca-l-bounces@mailman.ucsd.edu> on behalf of Henry G. Shonerd III <hshonerd@gmail.com>
Sent: Tuesday, October 21, 2014 4:23 PM
To: eXtended Mind, Culture, Activity
Subject: [Xmca-l] Re: LSV versus ANL

All,
Like Annalisa, I consider myself a neophyte regarding Vygotsky and Marx, and only slightly more informed about Vygotsky "pure and simple". Ha! I found the following article through LCHC website a little while ago (thanks to Mike's encouragement to use the google tool on the website). A fairly short read, it confirmed things that I had suspected about Vygotsky in a Stalinist environment, though very little about Marx, especially dialectical materialism. Those in the XMCA chat that are steeped in the dialectic will probably find the article falls short, but does it look like a fair and accurate account of the context of Vygotsky's work and collaborations?
Henry