[Xmca-l] Re: Gendered Access in Crafting and Electronics Practices

Karen Wohlwend kwohlwen@gmail.com
Wed Oct 22 19:03:05 PDT 2014

Andy, thanks for these generative questions and comments! I'll defer to my
co-authors to situate the focal case in the larger study but I'll address
how we are considering relationships among gender, practices, and tools.

We're conceptualizing tools as anchoring artifacts, that concretize and
suggest particular uses  and users accrued from cultural histories of
access and use (following Holland and Cole's cultural artifacts, and more
recently, Rowsell and Pahl's sedimented identities and artifactual
literacies). Tools index shared histories of use, values, and expectations
for who *should *be a user and for how practices *should *be conducted,
practices which following Paechter are situated in communities of gendered
practice that are multiple, local, and embodied.

However, we would not say that a tool is gendered in any fixed or
deterministic way. In any given moment of activity, tools signal multiple
histories in many nexus of practice (following Ron Scollon, the tacit
shared practices that members of a community expect of one another) that
lead up to, enter in, and flow from that moment, in contradictory,
confounding, and complementary ways, hence the ambiguity you've mentioned.
How/whether social actors make use of particular histories in a specific
context realizes foregrounds some histories while backgrounding others-- in
ways that can reproduce, contest, or blur prevailing expectations for
participation. In our analysis, we looked closely at the mediated actions
in the handling of tools in the one nexus to understand in a very concrete
way how girls were able to gain and maintain control over
projects--contrary to histories and expectations for high levels of tool
handling, participation, and trajectories of expertise for boys in
electronics activity.

Looking closely at the mediated action in this transformative moment
reveals how changing the electronics tools from wires to needle and thread
changes the nexus, activating a powerful perception/expectation for girls
as appropriate tool users by signalling histories of sewing practices and
feminine communities of practice.

In regard to other situations, looking closely at mediated actions,
material artifacts, and tacit expectations for participation in the
relevant nexus of practice will likely also reveal how materials relate to
stereotypical expectations, pointing to places ripe for rupture where
changing something small in the local activity (e.g., an action, a tool, a
material) in dominant nexus of practice can signal a different kind of user
and potentially disrupt persistent and naturalized stereotypes.

Looking forward to continuing the conversation,
Karen

--
Karen Wohlwend, Associate Professor
Literacy, Culture, & Language Education