[Xmca-l] Gendered Access in Crafting and Electronics Practices

Andy Blunden ablunden@mira.net
Tue Oct 21 19:52:38 PDT 2014

Here's the article for discussion Artin is introducing:
*Hands On, Hands Off: Gendered Access in Crafting and Electronics Practices*
Beth Buchholz, Kate Shively, Kylie Peppler, and Karen Wohlwend. Indiana
University.

    The Maker movement promotes hands-on making, including crafts,
    robotics, and computing. The movement’s potential to transform
    education rests in our ability to address notable gender
    disparities, particularly in science, technology, engineering, and
    mathematics fields. E-textiles - the first female-dominated
    computing community - provide inspiration for overcoming
    long-standing cultural divides in classrooms. Analysis of children’s
    use of e-textiles reveals that materials like needles, fabric, and
    conductive thread rupture traditional gender scripts around
    electronics and implicitly gives girls hands-on access and
    leadership roles. This reconceptualization of cultural divides as
    sets of tacitly accepted practices rooted in gendered histories has
    implications for reconceptualizing traditionally male-dominated
    areas of schooling.

Andy
(attached)
*Andy Blunden*