[Xmca-l] Re: In defense of Vygotsky

Andy Blunden ablunden@mira.net
Tue Oct 21 16:32:11 PDT 2014

Responding to your questions, Annalisa:

1. I counted 8 distinct charges. All of them are argued in theoretical
terms, not politically, even if we all believe they were politically
motivated.
https://www.academia.edu/7511935/The_Problem_of_the_Environment._A_Defence_of_Vygotsky

2. Activity Theory does add a few insights relevant to psychology,
especially to do with motivation, which are additional to what Vygotsky
had done, but mainly, it opens the way for the theory, grounded in
Psychology, to a wider domain of investigation, that is, not only to
study the development of the person in connection with their social
situation, but also the formation of the social environment in which
that situation is located.

3. Yes, why should the difference in UoA be controversial, indeed? ANL
introduced new UoAs, and they give insight into new problems, but that
in no way invalidates the insights provided by other UoAs such as those
that Vygotsky used.

4. It was the shortcomings in ANL's understanding of UoAs which risk
making AT reductionist. A UoA has to be an individual entity (by
"individual" I do not mean personal, I mean "single"), but for ANL,
"activity" is actually particular, rather than single ("a type of
activity"). Also, the motive/goal of an activity is external to the
activity, and this is where the whole "unit" approach breaks down and
tends to an environmental reductionism. AT actually fails to deliver on
its potentiality to deliver an interdisciplinary theory, that is, a
means of bridging between psychology and social theory. But I believe
these shortcomings are fixable and worth fixing.

5. The question of political freedom, or rather the lack of it, ought to
just make us a little more forgiving in assessing the work of these writers.

Andy
*Andy Blunden*
http://home.pacific.net.au/~andy/