[Xmca-l] Re: units of analysis? LSV versus ANL

Andy Blunden ablunden@mira.net
Fri Oct 17 17:48:22 PDT 2014

No, LSV is quite right, Huw. You and I can go through the same sequence
of events, but if, for example, the events really get under your skin,
and perhaps due to past experiences, or to some sensitivity or another,
it really shakes you up and causes you to dwell on the experience, work
over it and reflect on it, then most likely you will make a personal
development. If perhaps on other hand, maybe because of some prejudice I
had, the same experience just went like water off a duck's back for me
and I didn't care tuppence about the experience and just simply turned
to next business, then I will not make a development.

It is *only* the "subjective" side of experience and the *reflection* of
"objective" relations/events that forms personal development. Only. And
that is LSV's point.

And can I just echo Martin and David's observation that consciousness
before language was well-known and foundational to Vygotsky, and
consequently consciousness other than language. And Julian and Mike's
observation that "the ideal" lies ultimately in social practices, the
doing-side of which give content and meaning to speech which speech
would lack outside its being part of those activities. Vygotsky knew
this, and this was why he introduced a range artifacts derived from the
wider culture, as mediating elements, into social interaction.

So ANL is going along with the still widely held prejudice that Vygotsky
was *just* all about language. Not true.

Andy
https://www.academia.edu/7511935/The_Problem_of_the_Environment._A_Defence_of_Vygotsky
*Andy Blunden*
http://home.pacific.net.au/~andy/