[Xmca-l] Re: units of analysis? LSV versus ANL

Julian Williams julian.williams@manchester.ac.uk
Thu Oct 16 08:26:26 PDT 2014

Dear Larry and all interested in Leontiev's critique of Vygotsky

This discussion seems to have cooled off, unless I missed some posts: a
pityŠ I was hoping we would get at the nub of Leontiev's critique of
Vygotsky's 'idealism'. Im not normally on Leontiev's side in these
debates, but here goes:

I don¹t think it would have taken much to persuade Vygotsky (had he been
alive to the critique) that the 'ideal form' that already exists from the
start of development
only 'exists' (if it does) objectively in social practices/activity, and
that hence that a ZPD for development (the example given in the paper is
arithmetic) then has to authentically embed these ideal forms in practices
(in the classroom in simulated shopping, or whatever) that make good sense
for the childŠ so the perezhivanie is itself embedded/situated in the
child's being/relations in social activity and the material objects,
motives and emotions and discourses etc that come with that. (I take this
to be ANL's point).

Leontiev's reading of Vygotsky's text is not exactly unfair: I can imagine
readings of this 'final form' of the ideal 'already existing' leading to
distortions in activity theory (and it is a real problem Im writing about
this just now). I argue that in fact the idea that 'arithmetic' already
exists in an ideal final form and the task of development is to engage the
child with this ideal form is a dangerous formulation: rather I argue that
arithmetic has to appear in practice, in 'real social practice with all
the emotional baggage that it should have, i.e. as a solution to a
meaningful problem in practice, rather than an alienating bundle of
formulae to be internalised, as a punishment for being a child forced into
schooling.

And this social context of the 'ideal form' is of course absolutely part
of what makes the perezhivanie, it is not just the stage of the child's
development but their engagement in the activity/social practice and its
motives tooŠ. To arithmetic: if you can bear with me! There is in practice
no 'final form' of arithmetic anyway. Each generation learns and
experiences it differently, and its done differently in different micro
cultures, and long may this be the case (e.g. In subtraction do you add to
the bottom or take from the top, or what...; in practice, do you use a
pencil to do sums or use your your phone as a calculatorŠ etc etc?)

So: Leontiev maybe has an axe to grind about the material, object-oriented
base of (semiotic etc etc mediated) activity, but I think also here he has
a point.

In defence of Vygotsky anyone?

julian