[Xmca-l] Re: how to broaden/enliven the xmca discussion

mike cole mcole@ucsd.edu
Sat Oct 11 13:59:58 PDT 2014

Hi Paul-- I see a second note but let me start with this first one.

First of all THANKS! You are correct, I was thinking about my experience
driving and thinking about xmca discourse. And you provided just the sort
of concise identification of the issues that I would be totally incapable
of achieving without a lot of time and effort. Viva the distributed
expertise of those who participate in xmca!

Second,  I do not understand this part of your first paragraph:" I am
assuming from the speech act, comment has no relation to the thinking you
was doing." I was thinking about the xmca discourse and trying to figure
out more about the thinking/acting distinction with respect to semiosis.

Next.....
Let me start with Martin's conjecture:

"Might some kind of reconciliation be possible here by recognizing that
 both acting and thinking are *semiotic* in character?  Acting requires
ongoing interpretation of signs (icons, indices, symbols) in the world.
Thinking ditto, the difference being that verbal thinking (thinking with
words), at least, requires articulating that interpretation in the form of
new signs.
​"​

Trying to push the boundaries involved in Martin's proposal by coming up
with an example from my own experience that same day -- driving home, radio
off, monitoring the road and thinking about the XMCA discussion. Is seemed
to be verbal thinking, but was it action I was asking.

You offered "I would suggest that they are semiotic in John Searles theory
of speech
> act, but not austin's.
​"

In those circumstances, in that context, I asked how Searle-Austin
differences applied to the example of me driving home thinking about a
topic that was known to anyone on xmca who is reading this thread.​ You
came up with a very clear answer. "
your act of thinking in the car is purely psychological and semiotic, and
falls outside of austin's locutionary, illocutionary, and perlocutionary
categories.
​"​

​On the shakey assumption that we are still on the same page, I offer the
next thought that came to mind, this time when I am not in a moving
isolation chamber!​

I believe that your answer goes to Martin's proviso that verbal
thinking "requires
articulating that interpretation in the form of new signs." If having
another person in the car to whom I was speaking, presumably the locutionary,
illocutionary, and perlocutionary speech acts would come into play. I guess
at that point we move from thought to action.

I am far too poorly read in Derrida and phenomenology to follow your points
relating to controversies that include Heidegger, Husserl. But I venture a
possibility based on what I have learned so far in the conversation and my
own background.

I might characterize what I was doing in the car as preparing for, and
simulating a next turn in an ongoing discussion with a number of
colleagues, unsure of what my own conclusions regarding the issue of
thought/action/semiosis are. In light of the discussion, I began to wonder
about that term, articulation, in Martin's note. I take articulation to
mean roughly "to say out loud to another as part of a conversation (text?).
But, I have been asking myself, and ask you all for your thoughts, when I
am engaged in verbal thinking aren't I engaged in a conversation with
another, with an audience or my sense of an audience, as part of the
process that generates what I say? It is often said that one does not stop
being a sociocultural organism simply by virtue of being physically
separate from others. Is there, in such "conversations with oneself" a form
of articulation?

And/or, might the fact that these thoughts were incorporated in my next
communication as part of this conversation, not be considered a form of
asychronous, semiotic, action?

Thanks again for your concise answer. Sorry I cannot follow adequately some
of the points you are making.
mike