[Xmca-l] Re: how to broaden/enliven the xmca discussion

Andy Blunden ablunden@mira.net
Thu Oct 9 18:08:29 PDT 2014

Dmitry Leontyev's main speech to ISCAR (at the pre-conference on Monday)
was all about the dualism between sense and meaning, including the
Russian terms (was it mysl and znachnie or something?) and the German
Sinn and Bedeutung, and he preferred in ENglish to use "personal
meaning" and "public meaning" to clarify the difference, because "sense"
is so polysemic. A wonderful dualistic world, simply divided between
internal, psychological sense and non-psychological, material/external
meaning. The clearest explication of the fallacy of AN Leontyev's
approach I have ever witnessed.

Anyway, as I understand it, "meaning" is objectively fixed in words by
the objective relations between words and words, words and things, and
between things. "Sense" is the internal psychological reflection of this
external world. So in the "Evolution of the Psyche" I read:

    "Meaning is the reflection of reality irrespective of man’s
    individual, personal relation to it. Man finds an already prepared,
    historically formed system of meanings and assimilates it just as he
    masters a tool, the material prototype of meaning. The psychological
    fact proper, the fact of my life, is this, (a) that I do or do not
    assimilate a given meaning, do or do not master it, and (b) what it
    becomes for me and for my personality in so far as I assimilate it;
    and that depends on what subjective, personal sense it has for me."

So I guess "primitive consciousness" is sort of like these people who
vote for George Bush because "he's my kind of guy," and don't reflect on
it. :)

Andy

*Andy Blunden*
http://home.pacific.net.au/~andy/