[Xmca-l] Re: how to broaden/enliven the xmca discussion

Larry Purss lpscholar2@gmail.com
Wed Oct 8 07:09:51 PDT 2014

Henry,
By commenting, you have passed over from bystanding to standing at the door
and then entering and becoming embedded. The image of poetry slam and
grasping for cohesion helps to situate the movement of this enlivening
discussion.

We have been exploring *texture* and *text[ure]* in relation to *mind* and
*mediated activity* [Huw's response] and David's use of the term *species*
to explore Vygotsky's project which is aligned with and *seriously*
extending Marx's ontology [of labour??]

David mentions that Vygotsky was not only acknowledging Marx but took
seriously the project of extending Marx's analysis of the ontology of
*labour*.

I also want to hold in view David's acknowledgement of *attention* as the
*gateway function* and hope we follow that thread further. This explores
language as gesture and the KEY INSIGHT of *indicative gesturing* which
Martin has discussed.

These multiple themes suggest the metaphor of *loose threads* as the way I
experience this emerging dialogue. In this spirit of loose threads I want
to pick up one earlier thread from this conversation when David addressed
Andy.

I have been trying to grasp the differences between Andy's and David's
orientations as they approach activity theory as a *species* of thinking.
Andy was asking how David could *limit* activity to *behaviour* and not
extend activity to the *psychological* realm.
David commented:

"I take heaps, complexes, and pseudoconcepts to be the precise forms  that
word meaning takes as it develops in the experimental subjects of  Chapter
Five. I take it that we can generalize these results to the  actual word
meanings that children use outside the laboratory too,

 BUT

 that they remain forms of word meaning and better understood as MODES  of
semantic abstraction and generalization than as operations,  actions, and
activities. It seems to me that REPLACING the one with  the other results
eventually in abandoning what for me is the KEY INSIGHT of Vygotsky's later
years, the insight that the structure of  the mind is not behavioral or
biological but rather semantic; the mind
is structured like a text, or like a dialogue."

 I am asking if Andy and David will follow David's *lead* by exploring
*mind* through what David *indicates* is Vygotsky's KEY INSIGHT that word
meaning is BEST understood -

"as MODES  of semantic abstraction and generalization THAN as operations,
actions, and activities."

This notion of BEST ways to *indicate* the sense of word meanings.
Larry