[Xmca-l] Re: how to broaden/enliven the xmca discussion

Huw Lloyd huw.softdesigns@gmail.com
Mon Oct 6 16:19:41 PDT 2014

> ​Thanks again for taking the trouble to write that out. Perhaps it will be
> generative for people.
> mike​

I count two fairly obvious (?) logical inconsistencies and one more
"systemic" problem.

1. A profound concern for a materialistically interconnected world obviates
notions of solitary disciplines.

2. Semantic "structure" is not text, or text-like (unless you're being
generous with the term).  Rather, text can evoke and carry semantic
structure.

3. A claimed concern for semantics, but a clear (scholarly) focus on what
the authors said rather than the (logical) veracity of what was said.
Perhaps a linguist/semiotician will step in and clarify that logic is a
fundamental component of semantics as understood in such fields.

I'm curious about the Kharkov-as-deviant thread.  But I suspect this is the
same problem -- i.e. attention to the words and not the deeds.

Regarding the theme "broadening and enlivening" I am offering "tightening
and sharpening".  So it looks like I'm saying the question is wrong, but I
don't know what the problem was ... something to do with conceptual
difficulties being communicated at ISCAR, perhaps?

All the best,
Huw