[Xmca-l] Re: how to broaden/enliven the xmca discussion

mike cole mcole@ucsd.edu
Mon Oct 6 15:28:18 PDT 2014

Thanks, David. I think i understand better what you mean by "LSV rejects
"activity" as a unit of analysis for anything but behavior,and most
certainly as a unit of psychological analysis. Somehow I was expecting text
from LSV where he says "activity is not a unit of analysis" because of all
the places in his text where he uses the term activity as a sort of "lay
term".

​...​
>  Holbrook Mahn.
> Holbrook began by saying that:
>
> a) We do not "borrow" concepts made for one discipline and "apply"
> them to another. Not even dialectical materialism can be "applied" to
> psychology (or even sociology or economics--Marx didn't do applied
> philosophy!). Holbrook then produced a number of quotations from The
> Historical Meaning of the Crisis in Psychology to show that Vygotsky
> knew this, and countered with other quotations from Problems of the
> Development of the Mind to show that Leontiev did not know this.
>
> ​I know places where LSV is clear on this score, in Historical meaning,
for example, but not the evidence of Leontiev's errors.
​

> b) The term "praxis" has been thus borrowed. It doesn't refer to
> practical activity: it refers to a unity of thinking and practice.

​Borrowed from Marx by ..??? by Leontiev? There is any form of practical
activity without human thinking? ​

> c) The term "social situation of development" has been thus borrowed;
> it does not refer to a "context" but to the child's relationship to
> the environment.

By whom? I am always in a puzzle about the use of this term. Isn't
perezhivanie the term that LSV uses to talk about relation of child to
environment? At least, there seems to be a lot of chatter about issue.​

> d) The term "unit of analysis" does not refer to a God particle that
> is indifferent to the problem of analysis. ygotsky did not imagine a
> "unit of analysis" that fit any and all problems in psychology. Each
> unit of analysis is specific to a particular problem of unity (e.g.
> the problem of the unity of the child and his or her environment in
> Problem of the Environment and the problem of the unity of verbal
> thinking in Thinking and Speech).
>
> ​Amen to that. ​

> e) The term "verbal thinking" is a mistranslation: Vygotsky is talking
> about thinking by language, or thinking through word meanings, and not
> some kind of verbalizable inner speech (which does exist, but which is
> a distinct layer from thinking).

​There is a lot of confusion around this issue and would probably need
somewhat separate discussion. I interpret in the former way. The role of
meaning in inner speech, and the usefulness or not of the sense/meaning
distinction has me confused. Dima Leontiev has put the distinction behind
him and now refers to "cultural meaning" (paleo meaning ​

​) and
"personal meaning (paleo sense)." I am paleo in this regard.​

> Most of this has been said before, not least by Vygotsky himself. I
> know that Holbrook has been saying it at least since 2007 when I first
> heard him at the American Association for Applied Linguistics in Costa
> Mesa, and he develops it at some length in:
>

> https://www.academia.edu/1803017/Vygotskys_Analysis_of_Childrens_Meaning-Making_Processes
>
> Mahn, H. (2012). Vygotsky's Analysis of Children's Meaning-Making
> Processes, International Journal of Educational Psychology1(2):100-126
>
> It's been said by others too: Mike Cole actually makes many of the
> same points in discussing how the Kharkov school deviated from the
> work of Vygotsk,

​I did not know enough to make many of these points in 1978! They certainly
distanced themselves from LSV and PI Zinchenko went after the
natural-cultural memory distinction,​

​​

> and J.V. Wertsch is quite explicit in his revisionism
> when he presents "mediated activity" as a unit of analysis in
> opposition to "word meaning".

​mediated ACTION and often as not, mediated action in context.​

> But of course since a unit of analysis
> must preserve in some shape or form the essential properties of the
> whole, the use of "mediated activity"
> ​(action) ​
> cannot be a unit of analysis for
> the mind if we wish to retain the idea that the mind has a semantic
> structure (that is, if the "whole" is structured something like a text
> or a discourse rather than like driving a car, shooting a gun, or
> hunting animals).

​When we get to semantic structure of consciousness, we know there was a
break between LSV and his buddies. It seems that it is in arriving at this
formulation that the charges of idealism and sign-o-centrism kick in.​

​My difficulty is in making arguments about consciousness- -in-general,
perhaps a relic of my behaviorist past. Luria appears to have come around
on this issue. I have had a difficult time understanding the changes in
Leontiev's thought over the period of the 30's and 40's. ​

> Now, in the discussion of Holbrook's presentation, this wild-haired
> guy who looked a little like Itzhak Perlman rose to argue that
> Leontiev's interpretation was really one fair interpretation, and that
> it really was addressed towards a specific problem, which is how to
> prevent dualism from arising (that is, how to explain how word meaning
> could arise historically).​Through joint mediated activity?​

> He also said that Holbrook was juxtaposing
> quotations out of context: the quotes that showed Vygotsky arguing
> against a "Marxist psychology" were directed against a very specific
> group of vulgar Marxists (e.g. Zalkind) and that is why Vygotsky uses
> scare quotes around "Marxist".

​Not so?​

> I then muddied the waters, first by addressing the wild-haired guy
> instead of Holbrook (a major breach of protocol) and then by arguing
> that speech really is sui generis, because it is a form of "activity"
> (if we must call it that) whose conditions of comprehension are no
> longer recoverable from the activity itself (and so the unit of
> analysis for verbal thinking cannot be sought in activity). There
> wasn't enough time to really develop what I wanted to say, so I went
> over to continue the discussion, and it turned out that the wild
> haired guy was none other than Seth Chaiklin, who is, we all know, one
> of the foremost paleo-Vygotskyans when it comes to the much
> misinterpreted concept of the ZPD.

​Speech is a form of activity or a means of activity? Or of action?​

​I guess I do not understand. If its worthwhile, perhaps spell the idea out
here?

So far as I can tell, there are ONLY misinterpretations of the Zoped. Seth
was right on about it being used in Anglo-American discourse as something
akin to zone of proximal learning,fitting into the associationist view of
development as more learning. But the one right interpretation has escaped
my notice.​

​Thanks again for taking the trouble to write that out. Perhaps it will be
generative for people.
mike​