[Xmca-l] Re: how to broaden/enliven the xmca discussion

Andy Blunden ablunden@mira.net
Sat Oct 4 21:38:09 PDT 2014

I found Kaptelinin's article in MCA invaluable, Mike. Bonnie Nardi I had
the great pleasure of meeting for the first time at ISCAR, and if she
has written something on "object" that is very good news.
I don't think the problem is intractable, though I don't think one good
book or one good article is enough. But for example, for a long while I
have been jumping up and down about how people use the word
"perezhivanie" without an article (the, a, an some, etc) implying it is
some kind of "substance" whereas in Russian it is a count noun. While
there remains outstanding differences about what perezhivanie means, I
notice that almost all bar one now use it with an article. So, however
that happened that is a step forward, and people are aware of the
differences in interpretation and they are being discussed. I think if
we talk about "object" for a while, maybe this can be straightened out.
I know the task of conceptual consistency in our research community
seems to be a hopeless task, but I am optimistic.

Andy
*Andy Blunden*
http://home.pacific.net.au/~andy/