[Xmca-l] Re: Phenomenology as lived experience

Greg Thompson greg.a.thompson@gmail.com
Thu Oct 2 10:05:17 PDT 2014

​Larry,
and here is a recent articulation of the problematic of splitting reason
from lived activity. It is from Tim Ingold's paper "That's enough about
Ethnography" in the open source journal Hau:

"These questions, however, are founded upon a certain understanding of
immanence and transcendence, deeply rooted in the protocols of normal
science,
according to which human existence is constitutionally split between being
in the
world and knowing about it. The alleged contradiction between participation
and
observation is no more than a corollary of this split. As human beings, it
seems, we
can aspire to truth about the world only by way of an emancipation that
takes us
from it and leaves us strangers to ourselves (Ingold 2013: 5).
Anthropology, surely, cannot passively acquiesce to this excision of
knowing
from being. More than any other discipline in the human sciences, it has
the means
and the determination to show how knowledge grows from the crucible of
lives
lived with others. "​

--
Gregory A. Thompson, Ph.D.