[Xmca-l] Re: Phenomenology as lived experience

Greg Thompson greg.a.thompson@gmail.com
Thu Oct 2 08:44:26 PDT 2014

Larry,
I like your metaphor for the importance of syntagmatic relations in
experience (see what I did there?).

Seems like a close kin to this phenomena would be computer animated voices.
If you have ever tried to have Adobe read a pdf to you, you'll know what
I'm talking about. Each word is pronounced adequately (usually) but at the
level of the sentence it lacks the coherence of a human speaker. It is just
one word after another (with a pause when it comes to a comma or paragraph).

And when computers are able to give intonation to sentences, then it gets
scary. Check out the WOPR in the 80's classic film Wargames:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ecPeSmF_ikc

I also had a colleague that once was working on getting computers to
produce sentence-level intonation. When they tried it out with students,
the female students in particular said that they thought that the computers
were "creepy" b.c. it sounded like the computers were "coming onto them"
(in the colloquial sense of "hitting on" or making romantic advances).

So, indeed, the flow to experience is essential to human life. But perhaps
we had that already with William James and even Immanuel Kant.

What seems most interesting to me is the Peircean idea that you mentioned
of reasoning as lived experience.*

So, what's up with that?

Can you say more about that? How is reasoning lived experience?
-greg

*(and true, that may be nothing new either - consider Hamann or Goethe or
others in the German Romantic tradition, among other traditions).

--
Gregory A. Thompson, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor