[Xmca-l] Re: Fate, Luck and Chance [Language as a form]

David Kellogg dkellogg60@gmail.com
Fri Nov 28 13:12:01 PST 2014

The charity lady's daughter is Caddy Jellyby (later Princess
Turveydrop). Esther Summerson is neither bearable nor a female
character: she's a paragon of hypocritical Victorian "modestly" and
sounds suspiciously like Dickens in drag. We are told that Little
Dorrit was twenty, but almost everybody thought she was only
eleven--yet she marries a man well into her forties. That's what I
call blokeyness (as opposed to blokishness, which is an
over-competitive, possessive attitude towards word meanings).

De gustibus non est disputandum (but do we ever do anything else?).

David Kellogg
Hankuk University of Foreign Studies