[Xmca-l] Re: dappled

HENRY SHONERD hshonerd@gmail.com
Wed Nov 26 10:36:55 PST 2014

Rod,
A small point, but important for me, when you say to Greg:
	Evocative, no?
One could argue that the physical forms of language, the signs, in any genre, EVOKE meaning, whereby we, as language users, profile some facet of the cognitive, encyclopedic, “ground" which constitutes our semantic structure. I am guessing any effort to posit an actual structure in the mind will provoke concerns in the chat, arguing for dynamic processes. But you have to get nouny sometimes! Call it a useful illusion? What I was trying to lay out was an alternative to the “packages” of form/meaning to construe “word”, certainly not what Vygotsky had in mind. I see word “sense” as collateral activation of the word profiled. And, of course, it includes all of the sound symbolism inherent in your kids’ names. Written communication, it seems to me, when done with such care as I see in this chat, gives me an idea of how deep this language-based semantic activation goes with experienced readers and published writers.
Henry