[Xmca-l] Re: dappled

Greg Thompson greg.a.thompson@gmail.com
Wed Nov 26 09:26:33 PST 2014

Rod!
We had the exact same realization - before we added a fourth child (she's
an outlier), our son pointed out to us that all three kids had the exact
same three vowels (a, o, i)! This was totally non-intentional on our part
as well. And no, there aren't a ton of a, o, i names out there - something
we discovered with our fourth. (with the fourth, we were running low on a,
o, i girl names since we had used up a third a, o, i girl name with our
third child's middle name; we contemplated "Fiona" but in the end we went
with an a, e, i name that has other poetic resonances with the others even
if it lacks the exact same vowels - that time we did indeed think about it).

I think this points to an important quality of meaning - it is highly
non-intentional in its form and structure.

A second point follows and speaks to Andy's question - the nature of the
structure is not always apparent to speakers but we can nonetheless
reproduce it. We were reproducing a, o, i in names without knowing it.

It is for this reason that we can understand a passage such as this:
"“Her antiquity in preceding and surviving succeeding tellurian
generations: her nocturnal predominance: her satellitic dependence: her
luminary reflection: her constancy under all her phases, rising and setting
by her appointed times, waxing and waning: the forced invariability of her
aspect: her indeterminate response to inaffirmative interrogation: her
potency over effluent and refluent waters: her power to enamour, to
mortify, to invest with beauty, to render insane, to incite to and aid
delinquency: the tranquil inscrutability of her visage: the terribility of
her isolated dominant resplendent propinquity: her omens of tempest and of
calm: the stimulation of her light, her motion and her presence: the
admonition of her craters, her arid seas, her silence: her splendour, when
visible: her attraction, when invisible.” "

Or a phrase like this:
“The sea, the snotgreen sea, the scrotumtightening sea.”

Evocative, no?

David?
-greg

--