[Xmca-l] Re: Fate, Luck and Chance

Andy Blunden ablunden@mira.net
Mon Nov 24 14:48:59 PST 2014

I'll try to explain it my way, why "consciousness is a material process"
despite the fact that "matter is what exists outside of and
independently of consciousness" as you say, Martin.

In
https://www.marxists.org/archive/marx/works/1845/german-ideology/ch01a.htm#A
Marx said "My relation to my environment is my consciousness" although
he crossed it out in the manuscript. But why did he suddenly introduce
the first person pronoun here?

Everything I know of the world, in any sense of the word "know," I know
through my consciousness, but my consciousness is an illusion, a
phantom, and fundamentally different from that which is outside my
consciousness and reflected in it. Nonetheless it is what I use to
determine my actions in the world. I do not act exclusively through
conditional reflexes like a simple organism as an immediate material
process, but on the contrary, mediate my relation to my environment
through my consciousness, which I learn, is not 100% reliable, because
it is just an illusion, but is reliable enough and in any case is more
effective thanks to socially constructed mediation, than nervous reflexes.

But *your* consciousness is also outside my consciousness, and therefore
I must regard it as material, and if I am to get to know it, I rely on
the fact that it is a material process, arising from your behaviour and
your physiology, and although *like anything* I cannot have unmediated
access to it, I can learn about it only through material interactions,
the same way in that sense that I learnt your name and age.

But you are of course in the same position. A world of phantoms and
illusions is all you have to guide your activity in the material world,
too. Vygotsky says that the confusion arises "When one mixes up the
epistemological problem with the ontological one". That is the relation
between consciousness (an illusion) and matter (interconnected with all
other processes in the universe) is actually an epistemological one,
that is, of the sources and validity of knowledge, and not an
ontological one, that is a claim that consciousness is something
existing side by side so to speak with matter. So it is important that
while I recognise that for any person the distinction for them between
consciousness and matter is absolutely fundamental, I must regard their
consciousness as a material process, explainable from their physiology
and behaviour. This is not a trivial point. Consciousness is not
neuronal activity. Neuronal activity is the material basis, alongside
behaviour, of consciousness, but the world is not reflected for me in
neuronal activity, which I know about only thanks to watching science
programs on TV. Consciousness is given to me immediately, however, and I
am not aware of any neuronal activity there.

So yes, what you said was right, "consciousness is a material process,"
but I think it unhelpful to leave it as a paradox like that. And I admit
it is unhelpful to be rude. Perhaps we both ought to exercise more
restraint?

Andy

*Andy Blunden*
http://home.pacific.net.au/~andy/