[Xmca-l] Re: Fate, Luck and Chance

Martin John Packer mpacker@uniandes.edu.co
Sun Nov 23 17:57:53 PST 2014

Samuel,

There seems to me to be a "not" missing somewhere in your last sentence. Some human cultures are not dualist in their ontological assumptions: it's certainly not the case that dualism is so obvious that it's universal. It is the person who argues that meaning is not material who has a serious ontological problem, because they have to explain how a non-material meaning gets somehow connected to, or associated with, a material sound. All attempts to come up with that explanation (in linguistics, in philosophy, in psychology) have so far failed.

Seriously folks, if you don't believe that a word is material, please read Thinking and Speech.

If you don't believe that dualism is a problem, please read The Historical Meaning of the Crisis in Psychology: A Methodological Investigation.

Martin