[Xmca-l] Re: Fate, Luck and Chance

Andy Blunden ablunden@mira.net
Wed Nov 19 16:59:22 PST 2014

Thank you for that journey, David. To tell the truth, I had never before
reflected on the relation between fate, luck and chance!

Looking at two passages, two issues which have come up here recently
together:
Vygotsky's words on signs and tools (and other mediating elements) in
http://www.marxists.org/archive/vygotsky/works/1931/research-method.htm#sign-tool
and his words on words and actions which Haydi drew our attention to in
http://www.marxists.org/archive/vygotsky/works/1934/tool-symbol.htm#s25

In both cases I think he is combating the then-fashionable (in the USSR)
labour paradigm in psychology and anthropology, that is, taking the
labour process as the archetypical relation. In the light of the later
development of Activity Theory, his words were prescient.

As you suggest, any attempt to distinguish between sign and tool or
between word and act, "logically," that is, according to their various
attributes, is hopeless. What is more, such a "logical" approach seems
to lead to the conclusion that word is a special *type of tool* (or
artefact) and speech a special type of action. He shows how mistaken
this is, and the key concept is that the two concepts are related not
"logically" (or typologically) but genetically, that is, according to
the relation between their distinct but related paths of development.
Just as he explains in Thinking and Speech, in relation to thinking and
speaking: http://www.marxists.org/archive/vygotsky/works/words/ch04.htm#s2a
Actions (or tool use) on one hand and word-use on the other hand have
separate roots and up to a certain point have separate lines of
development, but once they come into "contact" with one another, the
development of each is raised to a higher (human) level, and conversely
and for each of the pairs of concepts. And then beyond a certain point,
both forms of action develop along distinct, even divergent lines, even
while they have become quite inextricable from a logical or typological
point of view.

It was formulations like this, bound to be misunderstood in the years
after he died, which laid him open for the utterly false accusation of
"idealism", and the failure to grasp the relation between the two
related concepts by some of those who came afterwards, led them into error.

Andy
*Andy Blunden*
http://home.pacific.net.au/~andy/