[Xmca-l] Re: Fate, Luck and Chance

HENRY SHONERD hshonerd@gmail.com
Wed Nov 19 15:29:50 PST 2014

David and all,
I am translating a text from Spanish to English that is consequential in the same way that translating Vygotsky from Russian to English is consequential: certain people are passionately interested in the meanings and care very much if the translation is well done. As I do the translation and follow the chat I ponder interpretation of discourse and translation from one language to another as being on some kind of continuum, rather than different processes. I understand that Vygotsky said that learning a second language was a sort of requisite for understanding one’s mother tongue. Translating from Spanish to English may be child’s play compared to going between languages that are very much different, but I am struck by how often idioms and metaphors that are perfectly clear to me in Spanish stump me in trying to find the apt expressions in English. A lot! That sets me to wondering if translating “academic” language is so entirely different from translating poetry or literature in that metaphor and idiomaticity abound all around.
Henry