[Xmca-l] Re: Apologies

Ed Wall ewall@umich.edu
Sat Nov 1 19:37:45 PDT 2014

Andy

     Yes, I recall Piaget's claim (Piaget gathered a cadre of mathematicians around him in his later years). Mathematicians tend to come back and do 'foundations' after they have been playing around for a number of years. Beginning at an end point (which was, in large measure, what the curriculum of the 1980s did) may have been a large part of the problem.

       I've been thinking and realized that I may not be clear about what you mean by 'objective relations.' What makes a relation objective versus the opposite?

        The journey of discovery that mathematics offers is, I think, reasonably exciting. However, so many children (and adults) find it dead boring and intellectually repulsive.  Some of that may be social convention (I remember a mother of one of my algebra students complaining because her daughter was 'too' involved in doing mathematics; it wasn't 'girl like') , but some of it may be teaching/curriculum. There is an amusing article "Lockhart 's Lament" which sort of touches on this (Devlin gives the link in a brief intro):

      https://www.maa.org/external_archive/devlin/devlin_03_08.html

Ed