[Xmca-l] Re: discussing "Posing the question"

Rolf Steier rolf.steier@intermedia.uio.no
Tue May 27 03:01:16 PDT 2014

Hello All,

Much to respond to this morning so thank you for some of these comments!

Jennifer asked about these methodological distinctions related to design
experiments. I don't have more to say on that yet, but I would love to hear
what others have to say in response to this (or to the "Designing For
Change" editorial from this issue).

This notion of "Museum as Institution" is also one that I'm really
interested in. In this study, I was explicitly trying to minimize the
school context through both recruitment methods and through the minimal
instructions given to participants. There is a much larger body of research
on youth visiting museums during field trips and in family visits than
exists for peer groups so this was an important distinction for me. I think
there certainly can be a shift to a more school-like context if
interactivity is introduced that structures activity formally. One
interesting observation that I had from sitting in this project room was
the hesitancy of visitors to enter if the room was empty. People would peek
their heads through the door and often back away if no one was
participating inside. I think there was a pretty dramatic shift for people
between this traditional gallery space and this interactive space that
violated people's expectations - they weren't sure what to do. If visitors
were already inside talking or engaging with the technology then people
seemed more comfortable entering.

Greg - thank you! That cover did in fact catch my eye last year but I
didn't have a chance to go through it yet. Thank you for reminding me
though.