[Xmca-l] Re: Teachers and Facebook

Barowy, William barowy@lesley.edu
Tue May 13 06:20:54 PDT 2014

Yeah -- two orientations occupying the same space -- I've taught an applied research course (empirical lead up to a thesis in a now defunct program) and students who are practicing teachers usually have studied their own setting in some way, all too often with conflict between arising between teaching and research. Here it might be two orientations occupying the same person-space.

---
William Barowy, Ph. D.
Associate Professor,
Lesley University
29 Everett Street,
Cambridge, MA 02138-2790
Desktop: http://bill.barowy.net/
Mobile: http://bill.barowy.net/m/

“I am always doing that which I cannot do, in order that I may learn how to do it.”
--Pablo Picasso

-----Original Message-----
From: xmca-l-bounces@mailman.ucsd.edu [mailto:xmca-l-bounces@mailman.ucsd.edu] On Behalf Of mike cole
Sent: Sunday, May 11, 2014 10:36 PM
To: eXtended Mind, Culture, Activity
Subject: [Xmca-l] Re: Teachers and Facebook

Nice to see your voice, Bill.

This seems like a perfect project for a Communication scholar who thought CHAT was a useful analytic tool. In after-school institutions that are supposed to be helpful to kids' development there is a constant pressure to "make sure that nothing bad (e.g., unlawful, immoral...) happens." Our activities are organized to maximize the possibility of "good things"
happening. When the two orientations occupy the same space, things certainly get interesting.
mike