[Xmca-l] Re: Heidegger's Notebooks Renew Focus on Anti-Semitism - NYTimes.com

Greg Thompson greg.a.thompson@gmail.com
Mon Mar 31 07:20:49 PDT 2014

Audre Lourde's words seem relevant to the Heidegger debate and particularly
to the questions that Paul raises:
"For the master's tools will never dismantle the master's house. They may
allow us to temporarily beat him at his own game, but they will never
enable us to bring about genuine change. Racism and homophobia are real
conditions of all our lives in this place and time. I urge each one of us
here to reach down into that deep place of knowledge inside herself and
touch that terror and loathing of any difference that lives here. See whose
face it wears. Then the personal as the political can begin to illuminate
all our choices."
Personally, I've gone back and forth on this quite a bit. I tend to feel
that a tool is a tool and while some tools are better for doing certain
things than others, the tool itself has no destiny in itself. Would anyone
argue differently with Heidegger?
Are we saying that his whole system was fundamentally antisemitic? and that
one cannot take up his thinking without being antisemitic?
And similarly, following Paul, can we take up the ideas of any slave holder
or slave supporter or otherwise racist individual without taking into us
their racism?
Interestingly, for me the antisemitism concern with Heidegger seems to be
more problematic than the anti-African concern. (and this supports the
issue that Paul was raising).

-greg

On Mon, Mar 31, 2014 at 7:54 AM, Martin John Packer <mpacker@uniandes.edu.co

--