[Xmca-l] Re: poverty/class

Greg Thompson greg.a.thompson@gmail.com
Tue Mar 25 21:42:50 PDT 2014

David, your earlier comment about Bernstein seems to suggest that one thing
that we can do is to "pull back the curtain of ideology", so to speak. That
is, to demonstrate the problematic nature of the notion that the deficit
lies within the individual and instead to shine a light on the system
within which a deficit is made into a deficit (Mcdermott and Varenne come
to mind here as having done exemplary work of this sort). That seems to me
to be a useful direction to push things. And one that I would think Mike
would be in support of.
Mike?

And yet, the cynic in me hears Slavoj Zizek whispering in my ear (okay,
SHOUTING, and with a fair degree of spittle - Zizek never whispers!) that
revealing ideologies in this way has done little to change the way people
engage with those ideologies. The only difference is that people now
ironically engage with the ideologies that have been revealed as such. But
those ideologies maintain all the force that they have ever had.

But I don't like to be cynical.

-greg

Gregory A. Thompson, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor