[Xmca-l] Re: poverty/class

Greg Thompson greg.a.thompson@gmail.com
Tue Mar 25 21:33:12 PDT 2014

And speaking of Bill Labov's impressive work (empirically speaking), his
step-daughter, Alice Goffman, has done some really amazing ethnographic
work of criminalized young black men in inner-city Philadelphia, with a
particular eye to how the criminal justice system functions to tear apart
families.

Based on 6 years of ethnographic fieldwork, here is a link to her new book
"On the Run: Fugitive Life in an American City" (soon-to-be-out):
http://www.amazon.com/On-Run-Fieldwork-Encounters-Discoveries/dp/022613671X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1395807492&sr=8-1&keywords=alice+goffman

Alice is an incredible ethnographer and a wonderful person, and for any
interested in these issues, this book promises to be a very candid look
into some very complex issues. (although I haven't read the book yet, I saw
her give a talk a few years back and have read some of her work and talked
a bit with her about her book as well).

Sorry for the digression, but hopefully not too digressive.
-greg

Gregory A. Thompson, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor
Department of Anthropology