[Xmca-l] Re: poverty/class

Tvmathdude tvmathdude@aol.com
Fri Mar 21 12:24:05 PDT 2014

Look to Florida legislature for the effort to increase the inequity.

1) A bill, already passed and signed by the governor that allows students to bypass college prep classes at state colleges, even when they lack the skills to pass college level classes. Students can now fail their way out of financial aide, thus reducing the numbers of poor and middle classes children obtaining college degrees.

2) A bill currently in legislature to prohibit state colleges from offering 4-year degrees. Since state colleges charge less than universities, it will again make it financially more difficult for lower and middle class students to obtain a college education.

3) A bill currently in the legislature to siphon more funds away from public education to charter schools who can choose not to enroll students.

The movement to further separate the "classes' is real.

Roger

-----Original Message-----
From: Andy Blunden <ablunden@mira.net>
To: eXtended Mind, Culture, Activity <xmca-l@mailman.ucsd.edu>
Sent: Fri, Mar 21, 2014 8:36 am
Subject: [Xmca-l] Re: poverty/class

Yes, it seems to me that the burgeoning inequality created by
neoliberalism is a situation crying out for imaginative social
entrepreneurship, i.e., social movement building. It is good to hear
that the 1/99 protests have generated talk about inequality, but that in
itself does not create a solution, does it?
Andy
*Andy Blunden*
http://home.mira.net/~andy/