[Xmca-l] Re: Public Academics and its risks

Larry Purss lpscholar2@gmail.com
Mon Mar 17 20:11:51 PDT 2014

Joe,
I first read the article in the january 2014 journal which I believe is
called [Theory of Psychology] I am on a public commuter so cannot confirm
the exact title.
I wrote John Shotter to see if it was possible to share this article on
line. He said that it was not possible but he did send this draft which he
said could be distributed.
The article is available for access for people with academic accounts

I do believe this article is *of a piece* with his other writings but in my
reading I also saw an extension in the theme of *ways of orienting* AS
multiple [the prosthetic-tool-text aspects OF agential realism] and very
rapidly shifting ways of orienting BETWEEN these multiple ways. We perceive
THROUGH tools when intentionally acting and the tools are opaque. In
John's conception, prosthetics become visible when they are not functioning
as expected and thus become *tools*. The third  aspect of ways of orienting
is expressed in the concept *text* which I read as implicating cultural
historical ways of orienting. What is *of a piece* is the way Shotter
questions notions of *representations* as prior to our ways of orienting.
He is drawing attention to the aspect of *felt tendencies* within our ways
of orienting AS intra-actions. This is in contrast to
*inter*-actions which presuppose things or entities that EXIST prior to
their coming into relation.
I read this current article as *extending* the dialogue with social
construction and going BEYOND these earlier *readings* which foreground
language
John is even questioning the assumptions of *foreground* and *background*
as pre-existing concepts. Foreground and backgeround *emerge* within
*agential realism*.

The terms *extension* and *beyond* indicate a coherent theme but also
adding further commentary [and depth??] to John's *project*
That is what I as a particular reader understand when reading this article
Larry