[Xmca-l] Re: What Faces Can't Tell Us

White, Phillip Phillip.White@ucdenver.edu
Wed Mar 5 18:39:17 PST 2014

yes, you're correct, Martin  -  yet at the same time, i'm hesitant just now to accept this research about how accurate we are in the accurate identification of emotions based on facial expressions  -  it strikes me as akin to identifying, say, native americans as preferring cooperative group activities as opposed to anglos americans preferring individual competition.  i would say that i'm needing more definitive research.
internal contradictions here, perhaps.

phillip
From: xmca-l-bounces@mailman.ucsd.edu [xmca-l-bounces@mailman.ucsd.edu] On Behalf Of Martin John Packer [mpacker@uniandes.edu.co]
Sent: Wednesday, March 05, 2014 7:42 AM
To: eXtended Mind, Culture, Activity
Subject: [Xmca-l] Re: What Faces Can't Tell Us

Hi Philip,

What you've written sounds to me like a critique not of the paper that Peter posted, but of Ekman's approach (The TV show "Lie to me" was based on his work). Lisa Barrett's research apparently reaches the same conclusion as you: we don't read people's emotions on the basis of a single, decontextualized feature such as gaze aversion.

Martin