[Xmca-l] Re: Question on Developing Empathy

mike cole lchcmike@gmail.com
Tue Mar 4 19:17:18 PST 2014

Hi Larry-- I still have not read John's paper. But at least dealing with
email I could not answer owing to local consequences of getting some of the
rain
we asked for.

Firstly, here we have a clear case where John should be asked to join the
discussion. He is a long-admired colleague with whom we have far too little
interaction, speaking personally.

So, here is a part of answering. Perhaps off topic. I hope not. I believe
that the principle of the retrospective construction of meaning is a
foundational part of the problem under discussion and fictive stories about
how cognition and emotion are a dance between the frontal lobe and the
limbic system. In so far as emotion is effected AT ALL by experience, it is
retrospective, and hence, constructive. the "tools" of that construction
are, in the aggregate, human culture.

Cultural cognition is always, in principle, non-linear -- a sequences of
vicious circles and spirals of development.

As a routine practice, I used to spend a lot of time with undergraduates at
a local housing project. There the students engaged in a variety of
mutually valued practices -- a hybrid idioculture-- and learned through
empathy. It was all about growing ourselves by participating in the
development of others.

Finding socio-cultural-historical niches where such settings can be
sustained is quite a different matter. I am particularly interested in how
fragile and pre- occupying they are.

mike