[Xmca-l] Re: The tradition of BILDUNG

Glassman, Michael glassman.13@osu.edu
Sun Jun 15 15:21:17 PDT 2014

Hi Andy,

Dewey actually discusses this when he actually names the concept in Knowing and the Known.  He had been using the idea for more than half a century, tracing it all the way back to his Research Arc paper in a footnote.  No one can ever say John Dewey used words willy nilly.

He wonders I think why we use transaction for exchange because just from a basic dictionary level that's not what the word means.  The prefix trans usually means to go across or go through - trans-Siberian, transnational (just looked it up again) so what sense does it make to use it in the way we colloquially use it - our English lexicon is barren enough that we can just throw away interesting, descriptive words so easily.

So Dewey takes transaction back to its (at least to him) more correct meaning - across actions.  That is when you are understanding an action you should understand it across a field of related actions taking into account different possibilities of interactions within the transactional field.  He has this really interesting example of an action that takes place in a pool hall (which I am a little fuzzy on right now) in which the person is shooting a cue ball based on different interactions that occurred before he even entered the pool hall.

Michael
From: xmca-l-bounces@mailman.ucsd.edu [xmca-l-bounces@mailman.ucsd.edu] on behalf of Andy Blunden [ablunden@mira.net]
Sent: Saturday, June 14, 2014 9:30 PM
To: eXtended Mind, Culture, Activity
Subject: [Xmca-l] Re: The tradition of BILDUNG

People use words as they will, but it always seemed to me that
*transaction* evokes an *external* relation between two subjects in
which something is *exchanged*, whereas *interaction* evokes some
modification of the nature of each subject itself rather than the
addition or subtraction of some contingency.

Andy
*Andy Blunden*
http://home.pacific.net.au/~andy/